concrete crack repair and paint suggestions please

Old 02-24-18, 01:53 PM
concrete crack repair and paint suggestions please

Hi gang. I am trying to bring back to life a sad old concrete slab patio. it has some hairline cracks that I was going to fill with Sika Crack Flex sealant (or similar polyurethane based product). let cure and then paint the whole deal with a quality concrete paint.

Sika says their product is paintable with "oil, water or rubber based paint." not even sure what that last one is....never seen that. and they say "silicone based" or high solvent based paints are to be avoided. so my question is, I want to paint this puppy and ideally have it not be obvious where the repairs are, but I want the cracks to still be able to flex. so is there one type of paint that would adhere best and not just be cracking off in a few months?

also, while I am at it....there are a couple low spots on the patio (like 2x4 areas) that I was going to try to "fill." is there a DIY friendly leveler-type product that is not too hard to apply? would I need to sand off the existing finish on those areas first before I try the leveling (used a SureCrete Pigmented Solvent-Based Acrylic sealer a few years back)...so i probably have to sand the whole area anyway).

any advice is appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-18, 02:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure patching the patio slab is a great idea. often the repairs end up looking worse than the current defects.
It's possible they are calling elastomeric paint a rubber based paint.

Old 02-25-18, 09:02 AM
thanks Mark. this is really a 1-2 year stopgap until I blow the thing up and either go paver or flagstone route. so I am not too concerned with the painted cracks looking too obvious but ideally want to find a paint that will adhere decently, and has the best chance of lasting a season or two in the 90+ degree summers we have here in the Carolinas .

the low spot I may just ignore since this if a temp fix. It just gets annoying having to go out there and squeegee after the rain so the dogs dont track through the puddles.

I appreciate the input!

Old 02-25-18, 09:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I like to use a solid color concrete stain on patios. Less prep and it often holds up better than paint. It will wear away but won't peel like paint is prone to.

Old 02-25-18, 10:51 AM
sher-wms owns & sells ' h&c ' stains - they're 1/2 decent imo + opaque so they do hide lots,,, our apron store carries ' cement-all ' which is good for your use,,, ' surecrete ' isn't widely avail but its a good polymer-mod's cement