Advise on epoxy on garage flooring, acid etching?

Old 03-13-18, 06:40 AM
Question Advise on epoxy on garage flooring, acid etching?

I want to put down an epoxy covering on our garage floor. We live in Maine and in the winters, snow will melt off from our car and run towards the opening and stop there at the garage door and freeze. It will eventually break up the cement where there's small cracks.

I need to first repair the holes that the ice created from the freezing (tips on best bonding?) and then I want to lay down the epoxy. At once point I painted on a cement water sealant to try to combat the problem. Will I need to do acid etch or what is the best practice for good adhesive?

I'm hoping that this will stop the freezing from breaking up the cement.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-18, 07:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!
Muratic acid doesn't generally remove sealer. Acid etching is only needed when the concrete is slick finished, no need if it's porous.
You'll need to refer to the epoxy instructions to know whether or not the epoxy can be applied over the sealer.

Old 03-13-18, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
You might need to diamond grind the existing concrete to remove the sealer. Contact your epoxy supplier for sure but paints and sealers really complicate the prep for epoxy coating.

Old 03-13-18, 08:59 AM
Having just installed 2 years ago the floor has to be absolutely clean of any prior sealers/coatings so I would highly recommend grinding the floor.

A word of caution, we dont park cars in the garage but despite excessive silica sand and color chips when that floor gets wet it's like ice. Just tracking in or having snow blow in which melts is incredibly slick.

I've even installed floor mats across the opening and up to the door to help.

I love the floor but had I know I might have not installed.

Old 03-13-18, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure grinding would be needed... it's a very thin layer. I'll have to look at the product. Any recommended Epoxy products?

Or would I be better just sealing that lip of the garage floor where the water pools? The lip slants down towards the outside and is not as smooth as the garage floor and am wondering if that is why it chips easier.

Old 03-13-18, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
The thickness of the sealing layer doesn't matter. It's the fact that there is sealant there at all. All the products I have researched and used specify grinding if the floor has been sealed.

The chipping of your floor could be a result of installation. It could also be salt collecting in that area. But, water freezing doesn't necessarily make concrete spall or crack. After all concrete is used outside all the time.

Old 03-14-18, 11:06 AM
What's the best way to repair the cracked holes then at the end?