White Crust on Stone Chimney

Old 03-13-18, 03:39 PM
White Crust on Stone Chimney

My stone chimney has white crust which I believe is Efflorescence from what I reading online. It wasn't there last summer and now it is. It seems strange to be coming from stone. House is 11 years old. I have a cap and the chimney cleaner said everything looked fine last summer. It has been a wet winter. Any idea what could be causing it and any advice on what to do? My house is three stories so getting up to the top is pretty scary.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-18, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not the pro in this forum but that doesn't look like efflorescence..... it looks more like lichen. Efflorescence is usually caused by water soaking thru and leaving trace mineral deposits behind during evaporation.

I don't think water can soak thru those rocks.

Old 03-13-18, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
If it is a cultured (artificial) stone efflorescence might be possible but I highly doubt it on real stone. Have you tried scraping a bit off or looking at it very closely?

Old 03-13-18, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
Efflorescence would also be on the concrete, not on the stone. Or maybe a sealer was painted on the whole thing... and it's getting powdery on the stone.

Old 03-14-18, 03:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some waterbased sealers will get cloudy when wet and then go back to clear when dry. Not saying that's the case, just a possibility.