Enlarging Concrete Exterior Doorway

Old 03-19-18, 11:16 AM
Enlarging Concrete Exterior Doorway

I need to replace two exterior doors on an old house. The doors on both openings are left hand inswing (due to outdoor obstructions we have to stay with inswing). Both were previously hung with solid wood doors, but I'd like to get prehung HVHZ fiberglass flush doors so I won't have an issue with rot. The problem is, 1 doors rough opening is 39 x 81.5/8 and the other is 39.3/8 x 80. The way I see it, I've got 3 options:
1- Get custom built doors
2- Enlarge the doorways
3- Replace with solid wood again and just trim the doors to fit

We are in the USVI, a hurricane zone, so I need something that is strong and will last. Is there an option I'm missing? I also have a budget and don't have any idea of how much it would cost to enlarge the concrete doorways to fit the pre-made prehung doors. Custom doors will take 2 months and we'll be in hurricane season by the time they arrive and I get them hung.I'd appreciate any suggestions you folks may have.

Attached Images  

Last edited by hobsonstcroix; 03-19-18 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-18, 01:10 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

At DIY..... a topic is contained within a single thread. This is your thread for your door replacement. We're all volunteers here which means we are usually out working during the day. Hang tight... the pros will be by and they will see your thread here.

It can always be moved to a different forum upon your request.

Old 03-19-18, 01:26 PM
Group Moderator
I would suggest you look into ordering a custom prehung door... 36x78. With a little modification to the brickmold trim, it would fit just fine.

The brickmold on a prehung door is normally 40x83... so a door that is 2" shorter would easily fit. It's much easier to shave a little wood off the trim rather than saw or modify the concrete.

Old 03-19-18, 02:16 PM
The custom prehung doors that I'm looking at are fiberglass, so I can't shave them. I also, have to have them shipped down to the USVI and install, so if anything is off it's a big mistake. If I custom order and then have to modify concrete, that would be very expensive.

Old 03-19-18, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
Any lumber yard that is worth its salt can order you a 36x78 prehung door. I don't know where you are shopping but believe me.