Tiling over cinder block in basement in cold Rochester NY

Old 04-09-18, 11:35 AM
Tiling over cinder block in basement in cold Rochester NY

Hello All... Was hoping for a bit of advice / help ! I have seen topics on this previously but thought my case was a bit different than those others I read threads on.

Problem One - My basement stair stringers are flat against the cinder block wall providing only the thickness of that stringer to play around with wall options. One option that I was contemplating would eliminate the need for framing, furring strips and insulation.....that thought being some sort of fun tile. I would like to also have it be known that the wall I am referring to IS NOT what I would consider an outside wall since the garage in on the other side (obviously one level up though).

So here are the questions...
1) Am I able to bond a stone veneer or whatever tile directly onto the Cinder blocks? For the limited amount of area I would be tiling (maybe 130 sf) I would be willing to sacrifice the insulation factor.

2) The Cinder block does not currently have any sealant applied....IF there is any type of moisture seepage though the wall would the thinset adhere to both the tile and the wall? Would a specific thinset be required ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

TY Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-18, 06:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can tile directly onto cinder block, Use a good modified thinset. Set a ledger board that is less than one complete tile and begin at the second row. Fill in the above and then after, remove the ledger board and custom cut the bottom row to fit tight.

Old 04-10-18, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the response CZIZZI! Much appreciated!!!