Gap in corner of lowest level of cinder block- pic included

Old 04-10-18, 06:29 AM
Gap in corner of lowest level of cinder block- pic included

PIC ATTACHED!

Hello All,
I am working on refinishing my basement and during removal of old framing I noticed WET - FINE MUD / SLUDGE in the floating slab gap. Upon closer inspection I noticed in a corner where 2 blocks come together there is a quarter inch gap which runs about 3 inches HIGHER than the slab floor and as far down as I can see. I can only guess that's the source of the fine deposit and water collecting in the channel....?!? While there is no down spout outside directly above that area of the house that drains in that area, the ground MAY be a bit lower forcing the water towards the house.

Is that un-mortared space in the blocks by design?

To me is seems like there are a few problems that need to be addressed to solve the problem.

Do I want to seal the gap in the blocks??? How?
Getting water routed away from the house in that area?
Removing the sludge from the channel to allow for better drainage?

It would be much appreciated if anyone could answer any / all of those questions!
BIG Thanks Jeff

If anyone happens to have

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-18, 11:06 AM
Group Moderator
I would NOT seal the slot. It looks like an intentional drainage system. Possibly water collected in the channel is supposed to drain out the slot.

Old 04-10-18, 11:30 AM
Pilot Dane....TY

Its a floating slab floor so whatever moisture is in the channel I believe SHOULD filter its way to the SUMP. Having the water drain out that slot (and back outside) seems very unlikely for that reason.