Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sidewalk repair

WML13's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,297

04-14-18, 12:43 PM   #1  
Sidewalk repair

My wife can't back the car up straight without running over a corner of a sidewalk that is near the driveway. The corner of the walk has cracked and broken up into pieces now that I could easily remove and pour in some quickcrete, but I want to anchor it to the rest of the existing walk slab if I can. I know I should pour a new complete slab, but we are talking feet of concrete rather than inches if I cant attach or reinforce the repair properly. Opinions?

Sponsored Links
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 19,293

04-14-18, 12:50 PM   #2  
If the concrete is thick enough, you can drill holes and pound some short pieces of #3 or #4 rebar into the existing concrete, (roughly 12" on center) then tie rebar perpendicular across the tops of those short pieces. Then repour.

But the existing concrete should be at least 4" thick and in good shape. If it's weak, it might just break out even more when it is driven on again.

Keep in mind your new pour will need control joints. If your new strip is 2' wide, you should place control joints no farther apart than 3'. Lineal pieces of rebar or mesh will help keep the concrete from shifting at every joint.

Search this Thread