Cinder Block Chimney Help

Old 05-18-18, 08:52 AM
Cinder Block Chimney Help

We are not sure what to do next and have stopped working until we can figure this out! I have called multiple places locally to see if anyone knows what to do, no one can help me. We are in the middle of attempting to build an outdoor fireplace out of cinder block that will be coated in stucco. We have seen multiple examples online of fireplaces built this way, but what we have NOT seen is the inside of the chimney. We are planning on lining the inside of the firebox with firebrick and refractory mortar, but leaving the chimney just the cinder block. That is what we've been in youtube DIY videos or so it seems. Thre's no mention of firebrick inside the chimney, just the firebox. However, we are thinking now that might be a bad idea. Looking for someone with experience in outdoor fireplaces to tell us what our options are. Can we leave the inside just cinder block without a liner? We could firebrick the inside of the entire chimney (which is definitely the most costly option). We could buy a clay tile chimney liner (least expensive but can crack in cold weather - if we do that, can firebrick be corbeled to the opening for the clay flu?). We could buy a double wall insulated stainless steel chimney liner (but what the heck do you attach it to?? I've only seen that used with a fireplace insert that has an opening cut out for it.) Another option I've seen, but can't find much info on is some type of additive to the mortar that can basically be smeared like a stucco on the inside walls to the protect the cinder block from the heat. Can someone please tell me which options would work - all of them please...cost is a factor. If there is another option we haven't found yet, please let me know!!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-18, 09:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

While I have no experience building outdoor fireplaces I have built several house/shop chimneys. What I always did was install the clay liner as I went up with the block. The clay liner shouldn't be affected by cold weather if it's encased in block/brick.

Old 05-18-18, 09:44 AM
I think the issue with the clay liner is if you try to build a fire in cold weather. Which we would like to be able to do. We live in Northern Illinois and would like to extend the season we can use our outdoor space.

Old 05-18-18, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know if an outdoor fireplace changes things or not but I have a wood stove in my shop and sometimes it's down in the teens when I build a fire. Never had any issues with the liner.