Rebar not drilled in footer for addition

Old 05-24-18, 10:52 AM
Rebar not drilled in footer for addition

I am adding 20' x 10' to existing family room in the backyard. Contractor poured the concrete for footing yesterday. There were rebars before pouring the concrete but they were not connected to old existing foundation footing. As I understand (now), where the new footing meets the old foundation, old foundation should be drilled atleast 7 inches and rebars should be inserted in old foundation. Now that concrete is already poured without inserting rebars in the existing foundation, how to recover from this? I am concerned that in future, old and new floors will be misaligned.

Next is to build foundation walls with cement blocks. I called my architect and his view is to recover this by putting rebars and inserting them in old foundation along with building of foundation walls.

Is it ok if he inserts rebars in old foundation while building the wall? Or should I insist on removing the footing and redoing the footing? If he removes recently poured (1 day ago) footing only at the end where its connecting to old foundation to insert rebars, then breaking the foundation might adversely affect rest of the footing.

Calling on experts for advise please. Much appreciate your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-18, 05:33 PM
Do not be afraid to drill concrete/old foundation and insert rebar into epoxy-filled holes. Ask Architect for depth of embedment, size and spacing of rebar.