Remove Dryvit or fix over a concrete foundation

Old 05-27-18, 11:46 AM
Remove Dryvit or fix over a concrete foundation

I live in Mass and in 2009 I made a mistake. I had a guy put Dryvit on my exposed concrete foundation which goes from 2 feet to 7 feet near my walk out.
It is a mess. About, 1/5 of it has come off and near the base ( ground or asphalt driveway ) there are bubbles where it would easily come off.
I thought about fixing it but that seems to be a pain and I know removing it will be worse but I think I should remove it.
How hard is it to remove and how do I remove it?

He skim coated a layer of cement on the foundation first then put the Dryvit on top of the cement .
Funny thing: In 2009, there used to be a few suppliers of Dryvit around here but there seems to be only one now in Rhode Island.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-18, 12:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I've painted numerous houses that used Dryvit, I'm not real familiar with it. You may not need to remove it all but you definitely need to remove all that is loose. If you can't get matching Dryvit, I'd stucoo the repairs and then paint it.

Old 06-07-18, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the reply but I need to know how to put on Dryvit or Stucco. I saw the guy who did the Dryvit. He skim coated some type of cement on the concrete foundation and put the Dryvit on top of the cement he applied.
I saw videos on doing stucco and it seems to be a multi step process as well.
It appeared it was like plastering.
Is there a simpler process or is everything a multi step?

I am asking as the foundation looks really bad now and I want to fix it but water and winters have killed this product and I do not want to keep pouring $$ into it.

Old 06-07-18, 10:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I've never applied dryvit, I worked on houses where it was being applied. Pretty much looked to me that it was applied in the same manner as stucco. It might be possible to just apply 1 coat of stucco but a lot depends on how thick it needs to be in order to blend with the rest. I'm fairly certain that dryvit needs a good base to be applied over.

Old 06-07-18, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
The only product that is not multiple coat would be a product like Quikrete Quikwall.

Old 06-07-18, 12:35 PM
By DRYVIT do you mean the whole system with foam and fiberglass mesh? Or is this the finish only? The skim coat that was put on before the DRYVIT, is it also coming loose? Or is only the colored finish coming loose? Is the foundation poured? What time of year was the DRYVIT applied? Does the DRYVIT get wet and stay wet for a period of time, like a few days.

Without the answers to these questions my first reaction is that the foundation is poured and very smooth or maybe it had form release left on the surface so the DRYVIT did not bond. If the water from using a pressure washer will not be a problem, I would pressure wash everything that comes off. Then reevaluate. Stucco is not a good option. DRYVIT finish is an acrylic material and Portland cement materials like stucco do not bond to acrylic. You could apply a bonding agent to everything and then try to put on a stucco finish but the bond of the bonding agent is only as good as what you apply it to and you already know that is not a good bond.
To summarize: first get everything that is loose off and get everything clean.

Refinish with DRYVIT or a competitive brand. You can spray it on if the hawk and trowel intimidate you. Mask and cover everything. DRYVIT does bond to what you don't want it to. Coverage goes way down if you spray.

A picture might help, don't know.

Old 06-08-18, 01:55 PM
I will refer to first coat as skim coat which was put on smooth, I assume it is a bonding agent and the other coat is the DRYVIT which is rough. Both coats are probably 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch.
The DRYVIT was applied in August with no rain and we covered it with blue tarps.
I have a poured concrete foundation with a walkout basement. House built in 1992. Concrete foundation is smooth.
The DRYVIT with skim coat is strictly cosmetic and I wish I had never done it.
In 1/5 of the house, both the skim coat and DRYVIT coat is either off or coming loose.
In some places, only the DRYVIT fell off adn the skim coat is in tact.
On the walk out side where my heating system/fireplace and foundation juts out 6 inches: Almost all of the DRYVIT and skim coat came off. I assume it is worse in that spot because there is no protection from water because where ever my cedar siding is, both coats are in tact near the cedar.
Anywhere I have mulch or 3/4 quarter stone along my foundation, both coats are either off or bubbling (coming loose) and I need to remove.
I live in Central Mass so we have lots of snow and have not seen the sun this spring or last. So , yes, it will stay wet for a long period.
I will try to get a picture as long as my kid is around,

Old 06-13-18, 07:55 AM
dryvit is synthetic stucco,,, generic alternatives such as sto are easily available

Old 06-13-18, 10:41 AM
Stadry is correct. There are several brands of finishes for EIFS systems. The finishes can be used without having to use the whole system So if you can't find DRYVIT get sto or synergy or Parex or another brand in a similar texture, get the color as close as you can. Since these finishes are acrylic they paint with acrylic paint very well so paint the whole wall to get the color even.

BUT you need to solve the problem. There could be residual form release on the poured concrete, it could have been dirty when the skim coat was applied. Dirt could hve gotten on the skim coat before the finish was applied and maybe some other problems.

So to fix it this is what I would do.
pressure wash the whole wall to blast off everything that is loose. For your sake the more the better.
Wash with TSP, the real stuff not synthetic TSP and rinse
prime with a primer recommended by the maker of whatever finish you choose.
Apply the new finish to match in texture and close in color and paint with acrylic paint by whatever manufacture of EIFS finish you like

And I would try this. I don't know if it will help but try it. use some 2" tape of whatever kind of tape will stick to the concrete and tape along the bottom of the wall. This is to provide separation between your new finish and the ground. Maybe, just maybe it will keep the water from wicking up and softening the acrylic. You can paint this to match but keep the textured finish off of that strip. You will remove the tape after you texture.

Now about applying the new finish. I am assuming you will not blast all the existing finish off. If you do that you have more options but I am thinking you are going to repair so watch some videos about plastering and spreading mud of most any kind. You want to spread the finish quite tightly and use a tool, maybe a trowel, maybe a plastic float, maybe a smooth piece of wood whatever it takes to get the same texture, unless it was sprayed then spray it. MASK AND COVER
Put up a picture showing us the texture and the condition after you pressure wash and we can help more.

Just reread you original Do you mean exposed aggregate foundation? or just exposed to the elements?

Old 06-15-18, 10:36 AM
Something I forgot
If you go the patch then paint route. Do your best not to lap the new material over the old work. Carefully work right up to the edge of the existing. Maybe even tape off the existing then if you lap a little onto the tape it will come off clean. Then carefully blend thetexture of the new to the old without lapping.