Best way to repair stamped concrete

Old 06-11-18, 03:15 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best way to repair stamped concrete

I had a patio done roughly 10 years ago (in Florida btw). Concrete was laid down, and afterwards I had someone come in and they laid acrylic down on top of the concrete and stamped it, or at least that's roughly how I remember it being done. After the stamped part had set, they cut expansion joints into the concrete. Needless to say, I wasn't thrilled with how it came out, as the expansion lines obviously don't match up with the stamping lines. To add insult to injury, over the course of these 10 years, the lines have cracked/chipped, and smaller cracks are now allowing weeds to perpetually sprout up through the cracks. I'd like to repair these cracks, but I'm not sure as to the best way to go about it.

If at all possible, I'd like to completely fill in the expansion joint and "smooth" out the "tiles". It's been 10 years, but I don't know if that means I should do that. If filling in that whole joint isn't a good idea, I would certainly at the least like to fill in the smaller cracks so that the weeds stop coming through. I'm not sure what the best method/material to use though is. I saw one site suggesting flexible backer rod with a caulk covering, and it looked easy enough to apply, but I'm not sure if that's the best choice. After whichever method is best is applied/cured, I plan on repainting/restaining the acrylic/concrete, so matching color isn't an issue for me.

Here are some photos of the current/typical state of the joints.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YsEhpud8anVyAqvq9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VncVe3PhskKqPWyHA

Old 06-12-18, 06:17 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I don't think filling the cracks will do you much good. It will look like a patch and perhaps worse then than now. To keep the vegetation from growing in the cracks use a vegetation killer spray. But use it sparingly. Run off will kill the surrounding grass at the edges.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: