Remove cat door exterior brick wall

Old 06-12-18, 08:54 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Remove cat door exterior brick wall

When we bought our house, the previous owner had installed a cat door through the exterior brick wall. We would like to get rid of it, and I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to patch a hole in the exterior brick wall? I have been watching videos on how to remove a single brick but I'm not sure about a hole. It is 9" x 14". There is a pile of bricks in the yard that appear to be leftover from the house build, so I'm fairly confident I can use them to match the existing color.
2. Along the interior edges of the hole there appears to be a layer of insulation. Is it possible to buy a patch for something like this? Or would a different type of insulation be better?
3. We live in a very hot, humid climate, so moisture is a huge concern. What can I do to make sure this doesn't cause problems in the future?

I'm fairly confident about patching the interior drywall, but I have no experience with the other layers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-12-18, 10:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
1. Yes, a brick wall can be repaired.

2. Nobody sells "insulation patches" but you can purchase new insulation. You'll likely have to buy way more than you need but it's relatively inexpensive.

3. Well, you already have a hole in the side of your house. Sealing up the brick, insulating and repairing the interior should provide dramatically better moisture control than what was there before.

---
Doing brick repair is actually sort of fun. If you're not experienced I would wear gloves as most people find it irresistible to touch and handle the mortar by hand. Work in the morning when it's cool and when the area is shaded. This will prevent the mortar from drying out or curing too quickly. Post back if you have any detailed questions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: