Fix Leaking Foundation/Basement

Old 06-19-18, 11:40 AM
Fix Leaking Foundation/Basement

So I'm trying to use my basement for storage and I have found some pretty serious leaks in a couple corners (after flooding the outside with a water hose). I'll be remodeling (or finishing) this basement soon, so I need to ensure that I seal any holes permanently. After some research, here is my plan of attack:

•Plug up any holes found on the inside with hydrolic waterproofing cement
•Will do the same outside around the foundation to any major cracks I can find
•Paint the walls in this area with some type of water proof paint (for extra seal)
•Try to make sure rain water is getting out away from the house as far as possible

I need to know of any more solutions I might be overlooking that are easy fixes to make sure my basement stays dry from now on and the moisture is no longer penetrating the basement walls.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-18, 02:36 PM
When using your water-proof paint, be sure it's the kind equivalent to Drylock. It does work, but be sure to read the directions and only paint the inside walls, not the outside. The exterior of the basement walls need to breathe. Water and oxygen need to escape. If you paint the exterior, you run the risk of trapping moisture inside. Masonry products need to allow air and moisture to pass through them or the paint will peel off and you'll have mildew /mold forming in places.

Do a search on dry basements to get more info. I'm guessing that the reason you haven't got a reply so far is that dampness in a basement has almost infinite causes and no one online could pinpoint your unique situation. So I think online research will best help you figure out your site's needs.

Make sure all water from the roof /gutters is flowing away from the building.
Make sure the slope of the ground isn't pulling water towards the building.
Make sure all your gutters are unclogged 100% of the time.
If you install a french drain, you'll have great success if you can do it.
Be sure you have a sump pump to stop water from infiltrating the floor. even if it doesn't the vapor will.
A dehumidier also will go a long way, but it's about $30/month to run.