How do I remove thinset from my exposed aggregate?

Old 07-05-18, 04:38 AM
How do I remove thinset from my exposed aggregate?

I recently renovated my bathrooms. I mixed my thinset and grout on the back porch. It is exposed aggregate. After the jobs I now notice splotches of grout on the exposed aggregate. Can someone tell me how to remove it?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-18, 10:13 AM
Sulfamic Acid Cleaner is used to remove grout haze from tile, I've used it and it works, id start with this!

Old 07-05-18, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
If that doesn't work you can use a solution of muriatic (hydrochloric) acid. I would use it on a damp sponge and NOT pour it on your patio as it will also eat the cement in your patio. You want the acid solution to only touch what you want to remove. And in case you haven't guessed you'll be using an acid strong enough to eat cement. So, follow all the safety precautions on the container.

Old 07-06-18, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the ideas, guys. There are only 5 or 6 quarter sized spots. I thought I would first try to lightly chipping to see if they dislodged easily. If not, these will be a Plan B.

Thanks again for your help

Old 07-06-18, 04:56 AM
the Sulfamic Acid has consistency of sugar, I've used a damp tooth brush to dip into the acid and then brush the spots.

Then of course given the wife her tooth brush back nice and clean when done! HAHAH!!

Old 07-06-18, 05:14 AM
"Then of course given the wife her tooth brush back nice and clean when done! HAHAH!!"

Hilarious!

Old 07-06-18, 07:12 AM
Group Moderator
If the blobs are that small then you can try sandpaper, a putty knife or a Scotch Brite pad.