Best way to patch holes from Forming Ties (leaky foundation - pics included)

Old 07-07-18, 12:40 PM
Best way to patch holes from Forming Ties (leaky foundation - pics included)

Hello everyone,

As you can see from the pictures, my foundation is leaking from the holes where the forming ties (or rebar, not too sure how it works) used to be. My house was built in 1985 and the holes were plugged with cork. I am assuming the cork dried out over the years and now water comes in.

I am looking for a more permanent way to plug these from the inside. What would be the best way to do this?

Also just out of curiosity, can anyone clarify if it would be rebar or forming ties or something else? In other words, why are there holes there in the first place (they are all around the foundation)?

Thanks!
Shivaya

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-18, 05:24 AM
When concrete is poured, tie rods are used to separate and hold the wood forms apart.

Then the concrete is poured between the wood forms. When the concrete has cured, the forms are removed and the metal tie rods are snapped off at the surface of the concrete.

But with time they can start to rust and leak. In your case maybe they were removed, I have not heard about them being plugged, especially with cork.

They have epoxy injection systems to repair, have had excellent luck repairing leaks from cracks etc.

Old 07-08-18, 06:45 AM
Get several tubes of DAP Concrete Watertight Filler and Sealant and fill each hole flush.

https://www.amazon.com/DAPConcrete-W...SIN=B000H5S09G

Old 07-09-18, 09:26 AM
Thanks, that should be a simple enough fix.

Do you know of a way that I can get the silicone "deeper" in the hole than what the 3" nozzle will allow me to do? I would like it if I could fill it all the way through...

thanks
Shiv

Old 07-10-18, 01:03 PM
nevermind - that was easy googleable - thanks again!

Old 07-10-18, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
I would use an anchor epoxy and mixing nozzle on a caulk gun. Mixing nozzles are long.

And who suggested silicone???

Old 07-10-18, 05:49 PM
can get the silicone "deeper"
Dont use silicone, it;s not for this application, you need some form of epoxy!

Old 07-11-18, 02:07 PM
My bad guys I didn't mean silicone - I was referring to Mad Scientist's "DAP Concrete Watertight Filler and Sealant", which comes in a silicone-like tube. Upon further review though, this is not an adequate product because it shouldn't be used for anything deeper than half an inch, so I will not be using that.

XSleeper I will go with what you said - Anchor Epoxy and a mixing nozzle. The last thing I want is to re-finish this wall and have it leak again next year!

Marq1 I should also add thank you very much for your explanation about the forming ties - that's what I thought it was but it's nice to get confirmation.

Cheers!
Shivaya

Old 07-14-18, 01:42 PM
OK! I used Sika 3001 anchoring epoxy to plug the holes (hope I did it right!). Iíll wait until tomorrow and rum the hose outside for half an hour or so to see if it holds up.

Once Iíve confirmed that itís no longer leaking, what can I use to reattach the tar paper? Will tuct tape work?

Old 07-14-18, 01:49 PM
Group Moderator
The tar paper is only there to prevent nontreated wood from contacting concrete. You don't have to replace it... don't know why you would want to.

Old 07-18-18, 06:27 PM
Do you mean wet concrete? Because there is still untreated wood there and there is still concrete - I am rebuilding to what it was before (fiberglass bats half way down the wall + vapor barrier)

Old 07-18-18, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Concrete wall / tar paper / untreated wood.

Like i said before, the only purpose of the tar paper is so that your untreated wood (or fiberglass) does not touch the concrete wall. Concrete walls can potentially get wet. You also do not want to install a vapor barrier over your insulation if this is below grade... nevermind how they did it / what was there before.

Old 07-18-18, 11:27 PM
I donít want to replace it, I had to rip some of it to gain access to the holes I was filling. I want to put the tar paper that I took out back in its place and was wondering if tuct tape is a good choice. Since all the tar paper does is ensure the wood doesnt touch the concrete though, I guess anything that holds it will work so tuct tape should be fine...

i had no idea about the vapor barrier, I did some research and it looks like itís standard practice now. Makes sense too.... Iíll make sure I donít put one

thanks XSleeper