Removing a garage foundation wall while keeping underlying concrete

Old 07-15-18, 03:08 PM
Removing a garage foundation wall while keeping underlying concrete

We bought a house about a year ago with a garage foundation (along with foundation wall), but there is no Garage. Based on property records, we know that this foundation was poured over 5 years ago. Given existing cracking and chipping in the foundation, I would rather not finish building the garage. Instead, I would rather turn this into a parking pad by removing the foundation wall on the left side of the garage foundation.

How would I go about doing this? The wall is 8" thick so a sledgehammer probably will not work. Essentially, I want to cut the concrete flush with concrete around it. I suppose a jackhammer might work, but I would have to operate it sideways somehow. Is that possible? Are their special tools or methods for this type of job that I am not aware of?

It should be noted that the base of the garage floor is slightly lower (~2") lower than the base of the parking pad to the side. I am ok with these not being level since I can grind edges to make this a park-able area (even if it is not pretty)

There are also pieces of rebar/bolts sticking out the top of the wall (probably for a sill plate that was never installed), so I would have to probably cut those with an angle grinder or something.

Thanks for reading!

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-18, 04:41 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah that is not going to be an easy job. The foundation walls go deep below the surface... and concrete does not break cleanly.
​​​​
You would likely need to rent a skid loader that has a jackhammer attachment on the front end. An ICS diamond chainsaw (you hook a garden hose up to it) could also be used to cut the concrete vertically into smaller sections then horizontally a couple inches above grade, then you could get a company to come in and grind the remainder down, like grinding a curb.

You will have a lot of concrete to dispose of, so hope you have thought of that.

I would suggest you hire it done but I imagine that any contractor who sees it would not return your calls.

Old 07-15-18, 05:25 PM
It looks like the control joints go under the wall. May be a chance that the wall is built on top of the floor. If so, removal would be easier.

Old 07-16-18, 06:43 AM
Group Moderator
You did not fill out your location but if you are in a metropolitan area I would get a price from a mason or someone experienced in cutting concrete. There are horizontal cutting saws that could cut the walls close to the slab. These tools can be expensive and most rental stores probably won't have it but a pro could cut all your walls in a day.

Old 07-29-18, 12:39 PM
14" elec demo saw & diamond blade - cut from both sides if poss,,, NO more than 100' of 20amp elec cord,,, finish w/bosch sds max & bushing tool then your dia grinder