Bad Concrete Pouring

Old 07-21-18, 07:43 PM
Bad Concrete Pouring

All,

I just had a 30'x20' patio poured. I'll not mince words, it looks awful. However, since I'm going to put 20mm tile on top of it I'm less concerned with the look as I am with the overall quality of the pour. I had a driveway done by them previously and it turned out great. Not sure what happened this time. It was a larger job.

They poured 3 slabs, and for some reason left the screed frames in, and then removed them later after it set. In one of the pictures you can actually see one of the stakes that they couldn't get out (not the only one).

Since the slabs weren't even at the join they tried "sanding" them down after they filled them in a day later. Not completely successful and there are still humps at the join. They also left a nice lip where the new step was added, which they eventually sanded down too.

The contractor is trying to convince me that the thinset will level things out and that it isn't an issue.

Beyond that there a what looks like stones in the concrete, as well as pooling of water in some areas (see picture for examples of both).

How screwed am I? What should I ask him to do? He's only received half the payment so there is that.

Thanks

James

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-18, 11:43 PM
I'm going to put 20mm tile on top of it
If your tiling over the slabs I dont see an issue, just dont let the concrete guys do the job!

Old 07-22-18, 09:06 AM
I'm a little concerned that in order to get it level I'll have to use way too much thinset. It seems like I'm creating work for myself/others that I really shouldn't.

I'm also a little concerned that it isn't one continuous slab. I've been reading up online and I've never seen a technique that has that much gap between the slabs. What I don't want to happen is the slabs shift and the tiles crack.

It looks awful, but can this be fixed and what are my options to make this usable for the tiling folks (or myself)

Old 07-22-18, 11:43 AM
Thickenss of the thin set really is no different than thickness of the concrete unless your talking inches thick it should not be a problem.

The multi slabs, yes that could be a problem. Lay tiles across a joint and if one shifts it will crack the tile.

You could make tile joints at the seams which might be a good idea anyway since it;s so big,

Old 07-25-18, 11:31 AM
what they said in the other forum last week