New Blacktop

Old 07-31-18, 03:34 PM
New Blacktop

Due to recent sewer remedial work in front of my house, the town needed to replace several slabs of sidewalk and about three feet of my blacktop driveway in from the concrete side walk. They did an excellent job of repair on the sewer, the new sidewalk and replacement of my blacktop.The blacktop was totally removed all the way down to the base ground (about 4 inches) New fill stone laid, compacted and new hot blacktop laid and compacted (but not rolled). Suggestions wanted. What would be the best way to seal the transition from the new blacktop to the old blacktop? And should I seal the new material this year before snowfall? My most concern is the border between new and old drive way topping. Not enough of gap to add backer rod, but a gap does exist. Will ordinary blacktop sealer be sufficient?

BTW...That last pic is of my new epoxied garage floor. Fantastic!

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-18, 02:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's always been my understanding that asphalt needed to weather for 1 yr before you could apply sealer.
How wide is the gap? If it's more than a slight crack I doubt sealer would be enough.
Garage floor looks nice!!

Old 08-01-18, 04:15 AM
Yea, that's my understanding also. But they guy's told me to just seal it when I do the rest of the drive, which is due this year. The gap is less than 1/8" in a few spots and nearly none in others.

Old 08-02-18, 01:45 PM
what'd they use - a plate compactor ? not adequate compaction for me,,, however, that's govt work by govt employees,,, IF it were a contractor, call the town/sewer authority & complain,,, may not have as much luck complaining about govt wkrs tho,,, 1 can seal asphalt/concrete jnt by using 100% silicone sealant,,, asphalt has to 'age' for a yr to let the asphalt aromatics flash off,,, we routinely sealed airport asphalt shoulder jnts against conc w/either self-leveling 100% silicone or hot applied rubberized asphalt,,, width posted's fine for sealing