Brick supports in basement eroding

Old 08-10-18, 05:45 PM
Brick supports in basement eroding

We have brick supporting columns in the basement of our 100+ year old house.

We recently has some contractors doing work on the gas line, and after they left, there was a lot of crumbled brick around the bottom of the pillars, and the mortar in some places is eroding even more quickly.

I'm not entirely sure if it was from vibrations of drilling, or them just brushing past it.

In any case, I wanted to mitigate further erosion of the bricks. They are very brittle/crumbly to the touch. Any advice on what material/approach would be best?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-18, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
This is largely a cosmetic problem. If you want to try to prevent them from deteriorating much farther, buy a bag of "topping mix", mix it up into a thin consistency like pudding, and brush it onto the column with a wide brush.

Old 08-11-18, 06:41 PM
Cheers! just what I was looking for. I got some topping mix today. Will report back on how it goes.

Old 08-11-18, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
If you want it to be a little stronger, mix it a little stiffer and parge it on with a trowel.

the slurry coat with the brush is more to help with bonding... so you should actually do both.

Old 08-13-18, 08:50 AM
Cool thank you for that. I was thinking that it might be a bit more of a trowel than a brush approach. Sounds like you're suggesting first a thinner layer with a brush, wait for it to dry, and then a thicker layer with a trowel?

Old 08-13-18, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, exactly. If you don't wait for it to dry you might find that it might want to pull off more red chalk off.

Old 08-21-18, 03:43 PM
I took a first pass on this yesterday with the brush. Let it dry overnight. All looking to be going well. Thanks for the advice!

Old 08-21-18, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds good. Keep up the good work.