Segmented block or masonry retaining wall

Old 08-15-18, 04:46 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Segmented block or masonry retaining wall

Hello,

I am replacing a failing brick retaining wall. I had been thinking of replacing it with the segmented blocks that use no mortar until I contacted a reputable contractor that recommended a block masonry wall with a faux stone exterior.

Since my current block/brick wall failed I am wary of this type of construction as I don't want it to fail again.

Does anyone have recommendations?

Old 08-15-18, 07:59 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Segmented block walls are a proven technology. Failure is very often a construction issue. Your call, there are pluses and minuses to both and I would start by contacting more contractors and getting more bids.

Old 08-15-18, 08:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I am a big fan of engineered, pre-cast concrete retaining wall block systems. The key is to install a proper, engineered retaining wall system. Most of what is sold at big box home centers is NOT.

I have eight retaining walls at my house ranging in height from a couple feet to 15 feet high that were installed about 18 years ago and all still look good with no sign of failure. One thing I like about the block systems is that they naturally provide additional drainage through the wall which I think greatly improves their performance over time.

Old 08-15-18, 11:37 AM
Based on your comments I think I will stick with segmented block walls. I have watched far too many youtube videos on the subject. Almost dizzy. At least series of videos pushes hard to make sure to use solid core block rather than hollow core filled with gravel.

Is this just the guy pushing a specific product or is it fact?

Old 08-15-18, 03:01 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I use the Keystone brand ones filled with stone and have fiberglass interlocking pins. They work quite well. I think the thing to avoid are the lightweight ones sold at home centers claiming to be retaining wall blocks.

Old 08-15-18, 03:09 PM
I understand. I saw the same as I perused their sites, Thx.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: