new foundation with evidence of seepage

Old 08-28-18, 04:51 PM
new foundation with evidence of seepage

We're adding an addition to a house which has had water seepage problems in the past. So we had the new excavation done which includes a swale running the length of both, plus perimeter drains were installed around the whole thing. The carpentry's done and electric and plumbing are about to happen...but today I noticed the dark areas under a few of the pressure treated plates attached to the new new concrete. The whole thing is built on bedrock which is only about 2 1/2 feet under the slab. It's all done right and approved by local code enforcement but I can't help wondering of the swale is not done right or the drains running about the addition which is 19x31 and has a full bath and kitchen. My guess is we're stuck with an ongoing water issue since the water has no where to go but UP because of the bedrock. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-18, 03:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How high above grade does the wood framing start? gutters installed yet?

Old 08-29-18, 05:11 AM
IMO, you were optimistic to think you could build a dry basement. It can be done if all of the proper steps are taken right from the original start, but the process is involved and expensive.
https://buildingscience.com/document...ts?full_view=1

On a good note, new concrete has a lot of moisture in it so maybe what you are seeing is related to the drying tome. In any case, avoiding moisture issues and potentially mold from here forward will involve some more careful planning, the details of which deserve a new thread or two.

Bud