Cutout in stemwall -- why?

Old 09-07-18, 08:30 PM
Cutout in stemwall -- why?

I'm puzzled why the stem wall on each side of our crawl space has a cutout in it.
There's a crack in the foundation above the cutout on this side. Should I be concerned now or in the future? If now what could be done about it, if in the future when should I be concerned?

The stemwall on other side, on the exterior of the house, has a similar cutout. The problem with that side is that there has been erosion which has allowed furry critters to make the crawl space a hotel hilton when it gets cold. (My wife hates mice in the walls). Worse is that water has started to run in during heavy rains. I have a separate post about this in that basements, attics, and crawlspace forum https://www.doityourself.com/forum/b...stem-wall.html

Thanks for the education.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-18, 08:46 PM
Group Moderator
Looks like part of a form still in there. I would suspect that if you dig down there might be a pipe or something that could not or should not be encased in the concrete of your footing.

You could shoot some anchor epoxy (comes with a mixing nozzle) into the crack... it's not the perfect epoxy to use but it's cheap and readily available.

Old 09-08-18, 06:25 AM
Ok Iíll try that. Iíll see if thatís wood when Iím back in there. Thx