Standard Brick pattern for Hexagon Patio

Old 09-08-18, 03:21 PM
Standard Brick pattern for Hexagon Patio

I cut the framing for 12' dia. hexagon patio and curious if member's have suggestion on the type of pattern that works best with minimal amount of cutting. I will be using standard red clay type 4"x8" bricks and whether to work from the center out or vice versa. Comments and/or suggestions appreciated.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-18, 08:42 PM
Group Moderator
IMO through only ideal shape that would create the least amount of cutting is to lay all the bricks in a hexagon. Maybe lay a small pattern at the center or have a "keystone" at the center, with 6 soldier row radii eminating from it, so that each section would miter into the soldier row.

what exactly does "cut the framing" mean on a brick patio?

Old 09-08-18, 09:45 PM
Thank you for the suggestion, giving the pattern some thought and starting from the center and working out seems the better option.

By framing meant I have cut the 12 pieces of 4"x 6" and set them on the ground and intend pouring concrete in 8" x 16" sonic tubes using saddle hangers to anchor them in place. It's a project in process and may decide on securing the boards by another means??

Old 09-08-18, 10:25 PM
Trick is to lay a standard brick pattern, but change the color of the mortar (here sand) in between...

Old 09-08-18, 10:51 PM
Great suggestion, I thank you!!. I will contact local building supply outlets Tuesday to inquire if they offer the mortar mix in various color, or an additive to obtain same effect. I think 2 or 3 complimentary shades would look nice?

Old 09-09-18, 06:42 AM
Three other tricks-

First, if you're getting used brick, or kiln fired, you'll also get different colors on the brick faces, some darker, some ligher, so you can also use brick color to enhance the pattern.

Second, sketch out your pattern on paper or computer drawing program, but when it comes time to lay the patter out, tamp down the grit/sand under the brick, and use a series of string lines to set out concentric hexagons and diagonals that go from axis to axis to help transfer the pattern.

Third, "draw" your pattern onto the packed grit using lines of different color sand to mark the boundaries- String lines are good for laying out patterns, but get in the way when you actually try to put things in place.