Brick/Mortar Deterioriation Around Ancient Cast Iron Drain Pipe

Old 09-17-18, 11:01 AM
Brick/Mortar Deterioriation Around Ancient Cast Iron Drain Pipe

I have recently come across an ancient cast iron drain pipe that enters the brick foundation of my house (below soil level) and I can see deterioration around the entry point (looks like somebody just mortared around it to close it up when the house was built ages ago).

I suspect that water is seeping through (I can see a root trying to grow its way between the brick and the old pipe) and I'd like to clean this situation up as best I can in order to keep the water out from under the house.

What is the best method to make this problem go away? Should I remove the pipe and try to put another brick back in that spot?

See my photo at the hyperlink below:

Photo: Cast Iron Drain Pipe/Brick/Mortar Deterioration

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-18, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
Your photo really doesn't show much. Or at least I can't see the pipe you are talking about.

Is the drain pipe being used? Is yes then I would dig out around it. Clean everything thoroughly then re-mortar it in place. If the opening in the wall is large enough you can put in a brick so you don't have such a large blob of mortar. If the drain pipe is no longer being used I would remove it. Brick over the hole and seal the area with damp proofing compound.

Old 09-17-18, 11:23 AM
The pipe is deteriorating on its exterior (rust/deformation and has a little mud coating) so it doesn't even look much like a pipe anymore.

The pipe is no longer being used (replaced by PVC many, many, many years ago).

I have never heard of damp proofing compound before......is that anything like the roof flashing compound that I have read about plumbers using to seal up gaps/cracks around pipe openings?