Cut out concrete for tree

Old 09-21-18, 05:28 PM
Cut out concrete for tree

I have a concrete patio made with 5x7 concrete slabs. I would like to take out one of these (the one where the carpet is rolled back) to plant a tree. What's the easiest way to accomplish this without affecting the neighboring slabs?

Maybe use my angle grinder to notch smaller squares within the slab and then use a sledge and pry them out?

Also, would it be easy enough to pour a slab back after removing the tree (say when I sell the house? The tree will block vehicular access to the garage. I don't mind personally but it might affect resale.)

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-18, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
Well... I would rent a concrete saw... just the handheld electric one... 14". Cut that slab up into 9 equal pieces by making 4 cuts ala "tic tac toe." Also recut the 5x7 perimeter clean through. Then work on busting up just the center square. Once it is out you should be able to pry the surrounding 8 pieces out without much trouble at all, leaving the surrounding concrete intact.

Replacing the concrete is no big deal but the color of the new will not match the old.

Old 09-21-18, 05:48 PM
Thanks XSleeper. You've really helped me out with your comments in my other threads as well.

No worries about the different color for the new concrete.

By the way, this isn't too crazy an idea, is it?

Old 09-21-18, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
Well, what kind of tree are you thinking of planting?
this isn't too crazy an idea, is it?
If you sell before it really takes off (I mean gets big), then what's the point of this extra work? If it gets really big when you sell, it'll be a lot of work (and/or money if hiring someone) to cut it down. Plus the roots are gonna push up the other squares around it and you'll have to replace them, too.

Old 09-21-18, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
Well, what kind of tree are you thinking of planting?
A Chinese pistache since it's large enough to shade but not humongous. Roots are usually well behaved for this species and don't lift concrete in street plantings.
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
If you sell before it really takes off (I mean gets big), then what's the point of this extra work? If it gets really big when you sell, it'll be a lot of work (and/or money if hiring someone) to cut it down.
That's a good point. And I'm not arguing since you may well be right but just explaining my viewpoint:

We're not planning on selling but I'm thinking about the scenario just in case. Ideally potential buyers would prefer the shade on the southwest side of the house and reduced reflected heat. But I understand that garage access can be a deal breaker so I want to be prepared to undo these changes.

So yes, there is potential cost of removal but I'm hoping it can be offset by our enjoyment of the tree's eventual benefits over the years.

Old 09-22-18, 05:09 AM
By the way, this isn't too crazy an idea, is it?

I cringed a bit when I red this post, opening up a spot in the middle of a patio to plant a tree.

There are other ways to provide shade, patio sails are a simple method.

Removing all that usable space would be my biggest concern.

Old 09-22-18, 06:53 AM
Another alternative is to buy a large planted tree in a decorative pot. Similar to what they use on some streets. See this Google image page. Avoid all the work and still get the shade and décor you want. I'm betting cost will be similar.

https://www.google.com/search?client...JO-psBjPC1reM:

Old 09-22-18, 10:33 AM
Bad idea to block the driveway.
Bad idea to cut up the concrete, you don't know what the soil under it is like.
Also, street trees may do well, but this is surrounded by concrete, so you can't be sure the roots won't push up. Also, if you do remove it, the roots will rot out and weaken the area under the concrete.

I'd get a BIG planter. Actually, I'd look for a used 275 gallon "pallet tank (about $150)

and cut the top off, Dirt is about 2x the weight of water, but I think the tank should be reinforced enough to work. Paint the sides or plant vines that hang down over the sides to make it decorative.

Old 09-23-18, 03:16 PM
All good points. Thanks.

I suppose hardscaping always wins against trees in urban lots in terms of expense and practicality but in this case perhaps especially so.

Old 09-23-18, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
I don't think that's what anyone's saying. It's where you're wanting to plant it that's the problem. The city is always planting trees in sidewalks, in front of people's homes here in Philly. But to plant one in their small cement back yard would be kind of odd. Now if you planted it in that patch of grass next to your patio, would be a different story. Don't know if it's your grass, but just making a point.