Foundation leaking into basement

Old 09-29-18, 09:48 AM
Foundation leaking into basement

Hello,

I have a slow but steady infiltration of water at the interface of the slab and foundation wall. I applied hydraulic cement yesterday evening and I can now clearly see 7 or 8 fresh wet spots - ranging in size from about 1-3Ē. The worst of it is in an area that originally had 4-5 steps and an entry way. The area has been blocked-in and the steps filled to grade on the exterior.

When I bought the home I installed a French drain, part of which runs past the former doorway at an elevation above the basement floor. I donít have a good handle on when the interior leak began or if it was leaking at all before the drain. Iím beginning to wonder if the blocked in doorway is an issue to begin with and the drain going right by it is making it worse. Should I dig it up and install non-perforated pipe through that section?

Thanks in advance,
tom

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-18, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like a high water table. Usually that is something that is known, I would start asking neighbors if they have the same issue.

Old 09-29-18, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Cement does not stop water. Waterproofing needs to be applied to the exterior perimeter of any below grade wall / footing in order for it to be waterproof. If no waterproofing was applied before it was backfilled, there's your problem.