concrete coping on firepit

Old 10-02-18, 10:40 AM
concrete coping on firepit

I am in the process of building a paver firepit with a steel center ring. I want to cover the top of all the pavers with a single piece of coping. I am thinking about casting a piece of concrete to do this. Will I run into issues with the heat from the fire on this or should I be ok?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-18, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
If you have bonfires like I do the concrete won't last very long. I've had concrete blocks (not CMU) and rocks crack and pop from a fire's heat. Occasionally they pop pretty violently spitting out shards hard enough to hurt.

I've never used concrete landscaping blocks near a fire so I don't know how they will react to the heat. I've seen promo photos of them used for fire pits so I hope they are OK. Even if they don't like fire your ring should be OK for smaller fires for a hour or so but bigger and longer duration fires will eventually heat the blocks. Better would be if you had an inch or more air gap between your steel liner and the concrete blocks to further protect them from the heat.

Old 10-08-18, 08:00 AM
Dane,
Thanks for the response. I've got about an inch of gap between the steel and blocks currently and am considering adding sand to the gap to further help prevent the heat from reaching the wall blocks.