rain after sealing driveway

Old 10-10-18, 07:27 AM
rain after sealing driveway

My driveway has several cracks that are over 2 inches in diameter and several feet long. An asphalt company came to look at them and said that the cracks needed to be cold filled and then the driveway needed to be sealed the following week. The company came over here late yesterday afternoon to repair the cracks, but they went ahead and sealed the driveway right after they filled the cracks instead of waiting until next week. Last night it rained, and we are expecting thunderstorms this afternoon. Is the crack repair going to hold since they immediately sealed the driveway after filling the cracks, instead of waiting until next week to seal the driveway? Will the sealcoat be compromised from the rain that occurred less than 12 hours after the sealcoat was applied?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-18, 08:08 AM
What was in writing.....and hopefully you did not pay.

Old 10-10-18, 08:34 AM
do you know what products were used for both repairing the cracks and sealing? And I'm assuming since you said an asphalt company that your driveway is asphalt and not concrete??

Old 10-10-18, 09:56 AM
It's best to let any patching material cure for a week, and best to keep sealer dry for a couple days.

You will have to just review after the rain to see what happened!

Old 10-10-18, 04:17 PM
I do not know what products were used to seal the driveway or fill the cracks. The estimate just says that they would cold fill the cracks and seal the driveway but the owner verbally told me that the cracks needed to be cold filled on a different day than the sealing so they could have time to cure before the sealcoat is put on. I looked at the driveway after it rained this morning and the asphalt appears to be dry but one of the cracks has already opened up, and there are some tiny cracks on the surface in a few areas. I'm worried that more cracks will open up later since they didn't allow the filled cracks to cure before they sealcoated them and then it rained 12 hours later.

Old 10-11-18, 01:10 AM
there are some tiny cracks on the surface in a few areas.
If a quality sealer was used then you would not see any small surface cracks, Did the rain add to the problem, we dont know.

I've heard a lot of horror stories of companies/individuals coming in, putting down a watered down sealer and never to be heard from again,

Hate to say but from the description it sounds suspect, any luck contacting?