Hydraulic cement for basement

Old 12-16-18, 10:23 AM
Hydraulic cement for basement

The basement is poured concrete - walls and floor slab.
My basement has been suffering from some minor water penetration....mostly a small seepage at some random points...... I applied the special basement paint but after a few years there are large areas where it started to peel off...and some other spots where it simply din't stop the water and one can see a water stain running down the wall.

So my next solution....I am thinking of applying a thin layer of hydraulic cement.
Basically I would prep this special cement and work it over an entire sections that I have noticed have suffered from water penetration over the years.

I wonder if this approach would solve the problem ??
Will hydraulic cement actually stop water penetrating into the basement ?
I mean - I picture the water already making through the entire wall ....can a fraction of an inch stop it now ??

ANy other recommendations working with this material and is it feasible for large areas or only for small patching (like by a pipe entering the house) ?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-18, 11:06 AM
what you are proposing is simply a band aid, it does nothing to address the reason why there is water in the first place.

First and easiest, are gutter piped away from the house, is the grade of the property away from the house, is sump pump plumbed away?

Old 12-16-18, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
The water problem is best solved outside. By the time the water gets to the inside edge of the wall it's already inside your home. Coatings on the inside are very prone to failure. Water and water vapor on the back side is constantly working to push any coating off the wall and eventually the water wins. Drainage to keep the water away is #1. Then a damp/waterproof coating on the outside of the foundation is the second line of defense. When applied to the outside of the foundation the water pressure is pushing the coating against the wall (not trying to remove it).

Old 12-16-18, 04:17 PM
You guys are absolutely right but 4 yrs in this house and I know that financially - it just doesn't make sense....and I have done as much as possible in and out - short of digging out the entire foundations on the outside and doing external drains + treatment....
Believe me - I actually had several contractors come over and they all said that my money would be spend better elsewhere.... unless I want to finish the basement and I am willing to spend well over $20k+

What I have done in the 4 yrs:
1. House has sump pump - I enlarged the pit and made it deeper
2. I re-graded the property - including placing 6mil plastic barrier all around the house from the foundation wall extending about 3-4 feet and then placing mulch on top of that.
3. All spouts are now tied to curb outlets..... nothing is discharging within 10 feet of the house

The bottom line - I heard from a local masonry guy that my entire neighborhood is basically sitting over a large underground river. This area is just clay soil and with this year record rains (NJ) - the level of saturation causes the basement in the entire area to be humid or wet.....
I do NOT get so much water that I would have to mop it but I can surely see the stains and the paint from the concrete walls is cracking and peeling off.....

I know that if we have 2 weeks of dry weather - the basement actually feels pretty dry and the dehumidifier doesn't even kick in.....

So for now the solution is a bit of a "band aid" - I agree....but since I am NOT planning to close the walls and since I never really have water in.... spending over $20k - I just can't justify....especially that I know this is NOT my last house.....will surely move in 5 yrs....

So.... is Hydraulic cement a good choice or is there another material to stop moisture ?
Maybe cement caulk would be OK as well ?

Old 12-16-18, 09:40 PM
I have only used, or seen, the material used for patching areas in walls, like around a pipe or a beam pocket.

Old 12-21-18, 07:28 AM
thanks - For now I used some hydraulic cement in few spots but found that it's much easier and better to work with Cement Caulk on the wall..... so used that as well.
Will see how well they work today....with another insane 4 inches of rain in NJ....

Old 12-21-18, 03:32 PM
Given how minor the water infiltration you describe is, I would honestly not bother to try to manage it from the inside at all. Letting it come in and evaporate inside is probably the best strategy short of addressing it from outside.

Old 12-24-18, 01:22 PM
one thing that still concerns me.....we have had a record rain falls in NJ..... in terms of totals and some of the biggest one-time rainfalls.
After some of the big rains.... even with the sump pump that is really deep and in the lowest place in the basement..... I would see the paint on the concrete slab bubble up in a few spots....
It's usually the same location....strangely it's seems like actually a high point and about 3-4 feet away from any walls ......
Just a bunch of very small bubbles - they don't even burst or crack when walked on....
Now this happened only a few times and only after some of the most extreme rainfalls.....

Still...weird that the water actually sips up