New concrete pad cross fall error

Old 01-24-19, 08:10 PM
New concrete pad cross fall error

I poured a small concrete landing outside the laundry/utility room. Size is 42" X 72" and 5" deep.

When I set up the form I compacted the base and made sure I have a slope of 1/4" per foot over the 3.5' width which works out to be 3/4". I wet the area and compacted several times over the course of a week. Each time I checked the slope of the form, no issue.

Then I did my mix and poured the concrete into the form. Once the concrete was poured, and troweled, before I did the broom finishing I was waiting I checked the slope on top of the form, and for some reason, one side still holds the slope, and the other side is perfectly level, no slope.

I don't know what happened. I checked the slope before I poured and it was fine. However, during the mix/pour process I occasionally was tapping the form from the outside with a mallet to help settle and even the concrete. It is possible I tapped too heavy handed and disturbed the form.

How would I correct this problem? Can I feather a thin layer on top of what I have - not sure how since the mix has 1/4" aggregates in it...do I use mortar?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-19, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
I would leave it alone. Yeah, it indicates that your form was not staked and braced very well and it moved on you during the concrete striking and floating process.

Old 01-24-19, 11:54 PM
Can I feather a thin layer on top of what I have
The problem is that the layer would be so thin that the eventually it would fail and chip off. You have slope, at least one side, so you should be fine!