Summerhouse base nightmare

Old 03-08-19, 05:33 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Summerhouse base nightmare

Hi all

So made a concrete base for my summerhouse, mistake no.1 was making it bigger than the footprint in order to provide paths all the way around it as when it rained, water was getting underneath it. Mistake no.2, we wanted it to look nicer so added a patio area and then paved the whole area, including right around the summerhouse.

The builder used resin between the slabs and we thought that would solve the problem and that the water would run off the summerhouse walls and away. However, what we didn't know was the resin is actually porus! We had a really nice insulated floor built for it and guess what? First hard rain and water came up through the floor and flooded it..........

So, how to resolve this without ripping up the nice floor, trying to lift the summerhouse (impossible), or wrecking the paving? My thought is this, underneath the 3" deep concrete base is soil - so what if I drill a series of small holes right through the resin and concrete base immediately around the summerhouse so that the water will have somewhere to go?

Thoughts please or any other suggestions!

Thanks

Old 03-08-19, 06:45 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Please post a picture so we can see what your seeing.
Little late now but that building should have been at least 6" above grade.

Old 03-08-19, 08:07 AM
S
Yep agreed but too late as you say

Will post some pics when I get home

Old 03-08-19, 10:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I honestly think the way to go is to jack it up and get the house above grade. Anything else you do you are always battling gravity and water... and they will win. Any sealing you do around the perimeter will always be a maintenance headache and as for the holes there is no way they will take away the water as fast as a summer thunderstorm can deliver it. So, water flows downhill so the house has to be uphill.

Old 03-09-19, 06:22 AM
S
Can I share photos from Google photos on here, cant seem to work it out?

Old 03-09-19, 02:22 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Here are instructions for posting pictures.

Old 03-10-19, 05:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
My sister had a similar problem on a much smaller scale. Her side walk butted up to the house and a puddle would form when it rained. I drilled 1 inch holes in walk and jammed gravel down holes. The water will drain now but it take some time. Don't think it will solve your problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: