Polymeric Sand and #57 Stone??

Old 03-21-19, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Polymeric Sand and #57 Stone??

I built a little parking pad (10 x 20) and filled it with 3" of #57 white stone...Problem is, whenever I go to park on it, it just shoots the stone everywhere and my tires sink in it, like being stuck in the mud or snow...Can I dump some polymeric sand in the "driveway" and hose it down to get the stones to stay in place a little better??
Hope this makes sense..Thanks for any input...

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-19, 01:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I don't know if sand would help or not. Sounds like you should have used crusher run which has stone dust in it which helps 'glue' it together. Maybe adding stone dust and working it in ??

Old 03-21-19, 03:07 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 685 Votes on 632 Posts
A uniformly sized stone like #57 will never really compact down and stop moving around when you drive on it. You need a variety of particle sizes so they fill the voids and lock together. Crusher run would have been a better stone choice.

As a repair you can cover the stone with a layer of stone dust. It's usually flakes of stone, biggest maybe 1/4" long down to dust. Sling it into a very thin layer with a shovel (hard on your back) and hose it in. Repeat the process until you've filled the voids between the bigger stones. Do NOT put it on too thick which will cause it to just form a layer on top.

Lastly Polymeric could be used but it will be insanely expensive as you will need a lot. I think you would need to spread it in a thin layer then settle it into the stone with a vibratory plate compactor. Repeat until all the void space are filled. Then gently wet according to the polymeric instructions. Do NOT just apply a layer on top and wet it. It will form a hard crusty layer for a while but will soon break free and be a real mess.

Old 03-21-19, 05:06 PM
Received 396 Votes on 370 Posts
To summarize, crushed stone has course edges which compact tightly where the stone you have is smoother and will not compact as much.

Plyometric sand has a latex glue added so for pavers it glues itself in place (pavers don't move) and doesn't blow away so not good for stones that constently move!

If you can get rid of the stone crushed limestone is excellent, it will pack down to a solid surface!

Old 03-21-19, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help!