Removing a concrete stoop

Old 04-08-19, 06:51 PM
Removing a concrete stoop

Hello,

I'm planning the demolition of a concrete stoop to make way for a deck and I'm looking for some clarification. Attached are photos of the exterior and interior crawlspace foundation/framing. The blocking noted in the second photo matches up with the last rise of concrete into the door threshold. Is the blocking present to support the concrete for the last rise? I assume the band joist must continue on the other side of the blocking.

Also, any tips on how to get the larger blue-painted landing to break cleanly from that last rise? I've got a very old 35lb Bosch jackhammer and a 1-9/16" rotary hammer at my disposal. The white painted sections are block.

Name:  P1050412.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  26.9 KB
Name:  crawl space framing.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  73.2 KB

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-19, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Blocking is used in the absence of a rim joist. Also, I think you are overthinking it. It will probably break away cleanly provided you start on the outer edge and work your way back toward the house. If you are concerned about preserving the final concrete step (I don't know why you would be when you can just rebuild it with wood) then score the edge about 1" deep with a grinder and diamond blade so that it breaks off cleanly. But I would assume that once the pad is busted off, that chunk won't have anything supporting it any longer and it will be loose. Also it's likely poured right against wood with no protective flashing. It might be best to remove it completely... frame it in as needed, and maybe you can make the ledger continuous after all.

Old 05-28-19, 06:09 PM
Finally moving through the demo of this slab. I've used Ecobust to break it into manageable pieces and I'm glad I did before going to town with a jackhammer. Took about 48hrs to form the cracks and I had nearly called it quits. Turns out the stoop is footed. Goes down ~24" from grade. Tough to tell in the picture but the block in the background is the house foundation and the better lit area to the right is a foundation wall of the slab.

Looking for advice on how to keep this from being a dank pit and/or subsurface reservoir right beneath our future deck and front door. I'm doing my best to keep debris from falling it but I'm undoubtedly going to lose some pieces and a few blocks were apparently left in place during construction and are down at the bottom. Should I back fill with soil that I'm generating from digging footers for the deck?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Name:  sw1.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  95.4 KB

Name:  sw2.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  8.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-29-19 at 11:23 AM. Reason: resized picture
Old 05-28-19, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
I would remove any blocks and footer below grade then waterproof your exterior foundation walls. Backfill after blocks have been removed, bringing the grade up even with the existing.