Void under outside stairs

Old 04-16-19, 07:28 PM
Void under outside stairs

I didn't want to hijack buddy's post but have a similar situation and more questions to ask.
I have a void under my back stairs and am seeking advice on how best to deal with it.
I need a solution that will completely fill this void, as the stairs have a tiny bit of movement if you stand on one corner of them. It may not be a big deal but it bothers me.
To the left if looking at them, is an old sprinkler manifold that blew apart when I bought the house and tried turning water on (to be fixed in another thread!). I'm going to take an educated guess that one of the lines is cracked under the slab, as I have a sunken portion of slab there (you can see by the paint how much it has dropped) and a void under the stairs. You can also see a portion of the sidewalk in front of the stairs has cracked and dropped a bit. I'll eventually cave and have the slabs mudjacked but for now I want to fill this void because to the right is a patch of dirt I want to reclaim as a planter.
That being said, I want to keep water from traveling under these stairs and washing anything more away. On the dirt planter side, the bottom of the stairs will always be visible due to how everything around the house has shifted in the past 40 years. I guess I will need to create a "wall" of some kind where the underside will be visible?
So after my confusing explanation of what is happening here ... what should I stick under the stairs and what would be my best bet for filling the gaps around the slab sides?

Name:  v1.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  v2.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  v3.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  95.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-17-19 at 10:00 AM. Reason: imported/resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-19, 01:45 AM
I would use the composite shims tapped into the joint to eliminate the movement then a good exterior caulk (Quad) to seal the joint!

Old 04-17-19, 07:24 AM
Marq, what kind of sealant specifically would you recommend? I know there is higher end stuff that expands and contracts with the concrete but I don't know what its called.
And that covers 2 sides, but what about filling the void and the planter side?

Old 04-17-19, 07:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Another way to to see about concrete jacking. If you go this get several quotes as they very a lot. I got quotes from 500 to 4000 for jacking up carport floor. I had mud jacking done but there are foam jacking also. I think they sell foam jacking for DIY.

Old 04-17-19, 08:49 AM
For the small opening a good exterior caulk, like Quad would work, need to find a color that matches.

Ive seen "concrete" caulk but it's probably just some grey colored caulk!

Other side, the one with big gap, I assumed that was some type of bed, looks like fabric under there.

Maybe a picture farther back to see what you have!

Old 04-18-19, 07:17 AM
pugsl,
I definitely plan to have the pads mudjacked. For now I just want to fill the void so I can plant flowers in that bed without water running under the stairs. There used to be cedars in there but I removed them.

Marq,
Thats what the previous owner did. Grey "concrete" colored k&b silicone.

Old 04-28-19, 01:39 PM
I wanted to update this for anyone who stumbles on it.
I packed as much dirt and gravel underneath the stairs as I blindly could. I then added some chicken wire on the large void side and spray foamed both the void and cracks around the stairs. I used individual cans of Great Stuff, but there are tanks available for larger fills. Once hardened, I cut away the excess foam on the crack sides, and took my sawzall to cut the void side flush. I then got a wire brush attachment for my drill and brushed away the foam in the cracks down about 1/4", essentially creating backer rod. I filled in this gap with self leveling concrete sealant. This stuff is flexible to handle the fluctuation in temperature around here from 35 to -35 which causes ground shifting. After that, I tossed some fresh dirt on the void side and she looks like a million bucks!