Raised concrete floor

Old 04-24-19, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Raised concrete floor

I have a pole building with a lean-to attached (see pic). The lean-to floor is 4 feet below the pole building floor (both floors are concrete). I'd like to enclose the lean-to and raise the floor to the same level as the pole building floor.

I first considered a wood floor, but if done sturdy, the material cost adds up fast. I'm wondering if it's anywhere close to economical to add a concrete wall on the open face of the lean-to, fill in the whole area and pour a concrete floor on top. That would open up some options I wouldn't have with a wood floor, but not sure about cost.

Thoughts....ideas?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-19, 03:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 136 Votes on 128 Posts
Unless you have free fill dirt, and a compactor, I think a wood deck might almost be cheaper. I don't see where you give us any measurements as to the size. 20x50?

Old 04-24-19, 03:13 PM
Sorry....the lean-to area is 15x40.

Old 04-24-19, 04:27 PM
Received 69 Votes on 62 Posts
What would it be used for, if high weight then concrete is needed, general storage then I would think the cost of a heavy duty wood floor would be less, especially if you were considering doing the wood floor yourself vs having the concrete work subbed out!

Old 04-24-19, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 37 Posts
Depending on what you're going to do with the space, whole lot easier to add insulation and maybe a source of heat under a wood floor.

Old 04-24-19, 08:37 PM
Always dreamed of having my own wash bay with floor drain; concrete could get that done. I don't need the floor for anything especially heavy. Wood will work fine and could do myself; just thinking about the time and effort. Concrete work would be sub'ed out and get the project done a whole lot faster.