Widen existing brick stoop

Old 05-07-19, 02:33 PM
Widen existing brick stoop

Hi,

I have an existing brick stoop. Is there any way to make it wider without tearing it out completely and starting over?

Can I add bricks on the outside of the existing bricks or ?

Appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-19, 02:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What would support the bricks? If you post a pic or two we'd better understand what you have and what would need to be done in order to widen your steps.
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-pictures.html

Old 05-07-19, 03:00 PM
Thank you for responding.

I want to make this wider by adding say 8 inches on each side. I'm not sure how this should be supported - do you remove existing brick on sides or ?

Attached Images  
Old 05-07-19, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
Your new brickwork will need a footer underground to support the weight. As a first step I would dig down on both sides of your stoop and see if you are lucky and the footer extends out far enough to use. If not the area on either side of the stoop will need to be excavated and concrete footers poured.

Then there is the problem of making the new work blend in with the old. It can be done but it will be more expensive to find a mason willing to invest the time and to find someone with the skill and knowledge to do it. Without that your addition will likely stand out rather noticeably as a new addition.

Generally though I would say don't extend your stoop. Your in for a lot of work to gain a small bit of width.

marksr liked this post.