1962 small patio brick fence

Old 05-23-19, 11:04 AM
1962 small patio brick fence

I have a small concrete patio that is circular and would like to put a brick fence up, 15' feet long and about 7.5' high, roughly 2000 bricks. The fence would be on the rounded perimeter of one side of the patio. There is a crack down the center of the patio. Could the brick fence be too much weight for the patio, resulting in structural problems? Should I have an engineer evaluate the patio? I've heard it mentioned that putting too much weight on one end of a patio can cause problems.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-19, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
You intend for the fence to sit on the patio? If so, then yes, I believe this will be too much weight.

Old 05-23-19, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Yes the plan was to put it on the patio...There is a driveway that abuts the patio, that may work..would the concrete driveway be a better bet, or could there still be issues...the driveway is also from the early sixties and isn't in the best of condition...I was afraid there might be issues putting the fence on the patio. May go with a wood fence instead on the patio but will have to anchor into the concrete.

Old 05-23-19, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think any of these are a good idea, as you're asking something to be a foundation when it was never intended to be. That said, the driveway should be a stouter surface than a patio since the driveway was at least designed to hold the weight of cars on it.

Old 05-24-19, 10:31 AM
https://imgur.com/a/jcTZHkW

I linked two pictures of the patio. The portable privacy screen is where I'd like to put a more permanent fence. Any opinions on what might be feasible, given that bricks are too heavy?

Last edited by Tonesg; 05-24-19 at 10:37 AM. Reason: trying to post pictures, not sure how to do it