pool coping installation

Old 05-30-19, 09:00 AM
pool coping installation

having pool renovation. I have concerns about the installation of the coping. They previously repaired the beam, which is just the surface that the coping sits on top of. The inside of the pool had a piece of material nailed to it that was leveled. the poolside edge of coping will rest on this. to install coping, the beam was wet with hose. Then a very thin mortar type material was brushed on. The the mortar was placed and troweled very smooth (no notch in trowel) and pretty level. the mortar, when trowel on, is level with material nailed into pool and looks slightly higher in back. Next the coping stone, without being wet or back buttered, is lightly set on the mortar. Lastly, a level is placed across stones and rubber mallet used to level them. Since the front is supported, it cannot really be tamped down. This just doesn't seem like good technique? I have installed tile before and I just can't see how you can get good adhesion? Didn't know if this is supposed to be done differently than regular tile?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-19, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
I remember we had a similar discussion last year in September on this subject.

I wet my coping stones when I reset them. I didn't use a notched trowel.
What kind of a guarantee do they give you with their work ?

Old 05-31-19, 03:56 PM
I think it is only 1 year. I guess they feel if survives the winter season then it is OK. All the companies were only a year. Disappointing considering how much money it costs. I think next time I will try to do myself. Although if this lasts as long as last time, I may not be at this house when it needs done again.