Interlocking Paver Diveway Expansion

Old 06-16-19, 09:38 AM
Interlocking Paver Diveway Expansion

Hi there,

Ive been installing interlocking pavers for the past 15 years and have come across a slightly new installation circumstance that Id like some advice on.

Im installing 2 sections of 2-3/8 thick pavers between 3 existing driveways at a townhouse complex. The span between the driveways is just under 10 wide and are 23 & 31 long, respectively. Ive already got everything excavated and have compacted my 3/4 road base up to within 4-5 of existing driveway height. My finished, compacted 3/4 base depth with be approx. 12-14.

All of my interlocking paver work, until this point, has been walkways and patios. The crux of my question has to do with final compaction on top of the pavers before, and during, my joint sand installation. On walkways and patios, I use a smaller plate tamper that has 2500 lbs. of compaction force. Since Im dealing with vehicle weight, not foot traffic, can I still use the smaller tamper on top of the brick to achieve proper compaction, or should I use a slightly heavier tamper with 3500 lbs. of compaction force? I also dont want to chip, or break, any pavers by using a heavier tamper. Sometimes something Ive never had a problem with using the smaller tamper.

Lastly, I screed a 1 depth of course sand for my bedding layer. How high above the existing driveways should I leave my pavers during the laying process so the 2 surfaces will be flush after final compaction? Other forums Ive read are anywhere from 1/8 to 3/4. Id like to narrow that down a little, lol!

I forgot to mention, the existing driveways are poured concrete.

Any tips, suggestions and feedback are appreciated. 🙂🙏

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-19, 12:50 PM
Group Moderator
Different sands and methods of installation can give you different amounts of compaction settling. I'd play it safe and do a test area and measure how much compaction settling you get.

As for the compaction I would look to the installation instructions for your pavers. Asking your block supplier could also be helpful. Whichever compactor you use it is always a good idea to have a few spare blocks on hand. Occasionally you get a bad one that cracks during compaction and needs to be pulled out and replaced.