Filling in Concrete planter next to Pool

Old 07-01-19, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Filling in Concrete planter next to Pool

Wed like to fill in this 4 by 9 planter/opening that sits between our colored concrete patio and the shell/coping of our pool so that its flush. Im wondering whether I need to leave a gap all the way around the new pour (or at least on the edge butting up to the pool coping) and if so, what material to use for the form. Id also appreciate any recommendations on what product(s) to use to closely approximate the existing patio material/finish. I am pretty sure this is a salt finish (we inherited this when we bought the house). Lastly how deep do you think I need the concrete to be and how serious do I need to get with reinforcing? Apart from a fence post or two I have no experience with concrete. Is this a reasonable project for a hack like me?

Larger photos
Name:  pp1.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  pp2.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  40.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-01-19 at 10:18 PM. Reason: added pics from link
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-19, 10:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
I'm not the pro here but up here I'm in a cold zone so there needs to be an expansion joint between the pour and the pool coping as well as between the pour and the sidewalk. I have a 40+ year old Syvlan pool and back then they were using Homasote board for the expansion joints.

Not sure if you have freezing issues where you are.
What is currently used between the sidewalk and the coping ?

This is a newer version of what I have..... Homasote

Old 07-02-19, 01:32 AM
Received 126 Votes on 117 Posts
First off, whatever you put in there, especially if your trying to match the color is that it wont match so maybe just decide to make it different to start with like installing pavers!

Old 07-02-19, 08:28 PM
Thanks. I'm considering going with a different color of concrete too (just embracing that it's different.) I do worry that pavers would be a pain inside of a shape like that. Wouldn't I end up with a lot of strange cuts?

Old 07-02-19, 08:34 PM
Thanks. I'm not sure what was originally between the coping and patio when it was poured (12+ years ago). Whatever it is/was, it's covered with some kind of mastic now.

Old 07-02-19, 09:11 PM
Group Moderator
If you are in an area where you get freezing..... it's some type of expansion material. It may very well be Homasote board like I mentioned and then covered with the crack filler.

My expansion joints had all rotted away so I used foam backer rod to fill the gap and then used the crack filler. That stuff is very expensive. The problem with that stuff is that it gets dirty and is hard to clean.

Old 07-03-19, 05:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 242 Posts
Pavers would require a lot of cuts to conform to the odd shape but it could look really good when done. I'm don't know how a salt finish concrete could be done there without making a mess of the surrounding patio. A stamped concrete might be an option.

Old 07-03-19, 05:47 AM
Received 126 Votes on 117 Posts
Wouldn't I end up with a lot of strange cuts
Sure, but with thin pavers, a die grinder, diamond blade and some time it would look good!

Old 07-10-19, 06:55 PM
Going to go with flagstones

Thanks all, decided to go with a concrete platform covered with mortared flagstones

Old 07-10-19, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
Very good. Post a picture when it's finished so we can see it.