How to enlarge a hole in stucco?

Old 07-06-19, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to enlarge a hole in stucco?

So I've made a minor mistake while trying to run PVC conduit (1") outside, through the stucco wall of my garage. I purchase a hole-saw large enough for the PVC, but not for the joining connector on my LB conduit body, which I want to be flush on the outside wall. Basically put, I need the hole to be about 1/4" larger than what it is now and I'd like to avoid purchasing an "Oops", dual hole saw arbor/saw config if I can avoid it.

Can stucco be ground with a Dremel, a half-round file, or something similar? I'd like to complete this single hole in the next day or two. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-19, 03:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 90 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Is this stucco over block or is it wire lath and stucco over wood framing?

Old 07-07-19, 03:47 AM
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
If you have a large wood rasp it will work but the tool wont be what it was when you started!

Spunner voted this post useful.
Old 07-07-19, 10:27 AM
..I always wanted to buy a new file set! Yes, I have a very "toothy" half-round and rat-tail at my disposal Marq1.

Thanks for the greetings Marksr. Its a standard configuration here in CA, Stucco-over-paper-over-Oriented Strand Board. There's an air gap (where my contractor should have placed insulation (its an exterior wall ) before hitting the drywall.

My son assisted with a Dremel last evening before we lost light, using the little drum sanding bit. It melted through the drywall in seconds, but the stucco was very slow going. I have a lot of work ahead of me, wiring for home security cameras, so I'm opting for a Tungsten-Carbide bit from my local Lowes and hoping for the best.

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen!

Old 07-08-19, 03:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 90 Posts
Stucco-over-paper-over-Oriented Strand Board.
That should make the job a lot easier ..... not that it's an easy job to start with

Old 07-08-19, 09:29 AM
FINAL UPDATE: While the Dremel Carbide Tungsten bit was more effective then the drum-sanding bit, the winner was the very toothy Wood Rasp. I had the hole opened up in under 10 minutes and the LB fit perfectly. Still need to touch up some spots with paint on the PVC, but at least the rest is history and it looks great.

Props for the help, and Marq1, I owe you a beer!