Stucco repair texture

Old 07-08-19, 12:59 PM
Stucco repair texture

I have a few places on my exterior stucco walls that need repair. I have patched a few small holes in the past and done a reasonable job with premixed stucco patch. However if I need to repair any larger areas I would like to be better able to match the texture. Can anyone provide an idea about how the texture in the photos was created? One particular question is how the lines (or "striations") were created. The photos are below.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Name:  stucco_1.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  135.5 KB

Name:  stucco_2.JPG
Views: 48
Size:  139.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-08-19 at 01:48 PM. Reason: added space between pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-19, 01:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 72
Welcome to the forums!

I'm a painter not a stucco guy but I've painted a lot of stucco that looks like that and have made a few repairs. They pretty much just trowel it on in a skipping motion. One of the forums's members is a pro plaster guy [tightcoat] hopefully he'll have time to respond with better info for you.

Old 07-11-19, 02:52 PM
It's hard to describe how to do this. I'll try.
Your brown coat should have some grit to it the sand should have been raised with a float. Then you make a finish coat pretty thin and spread it on tightly. That is what gives the chatter lines that are the background. Let that dry a little. it doesn't have to be completely set. Then take some of the same material and put a little on the trowel and rapidly stroke the wall with little to no pressure and it will leave some of the material behind. That is the raised spots. All I can say it practice. If the area is not too large you can use a pointing trowel or margin trowel and just put on a little in a hit and miss patter mostly miss and maybe get pretty close. Then when it is pretty firm very lightly trowel over it once more to flatten those spots out just a little. Try one little area first. If it is too smooth or too flat then wait a while before you do the rest.

Old 07-16-19, 07:39 AM
Tightcoat, Thanks so much for these detailed instructions. This will be a big help.