Weathered landscaping blocks

Old 07-10-19, 06:19 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 1 Post
Weathered landscaping blocks

... which I would like to refurbish to look "un-weathered.

I have a few raised flower beds with concrete "stones" as retaining walls. Over the years, they're getting darker, with moss (?) stains in spots. I doubt that my power washer alone will make them look new (or newer).

Any ideas?

Old 07-10-19, 07:23 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I would try Wet And Forget.

Old 07-10-19, 08:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
I would use a pressure washer and bleach. Pressure wash to remove the moss and other stuff growing on the surface. Then spray with bleach to try and remove any staining and lighten the color. Be careful with whatever you do if your blocks have a texture. You don't want to blast or scrub off the texture.

Old 07-10-19, 11:25 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 1 Post
Two good ideas.

Will "Wet & Forget" or bleach harm the grass if it runs off the stones? (I'm predicting that the answers are "No", and "You betcha".)

Old 07-10-19, 11:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
Bleach a anything but insane levels doesn't hurt plants much. If you are concerned you can apply the bleach then with a garden hose rinse off the lawn. I've used concentrations as high as 50/50 water and bleach and not killed grass and that's without rinsing off.

Old 07-10-19, 11:48 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Wet And Forget is not supposed to harm plants, based on what I have seen and read, and that's the reason I suggested it since you mentioned flower beds, but I have used bleach for things like that too, without incident, and, come to think of it, I would most likely rinse the surrounding area when I was done regardless of which I used in a situation like that, just to be sure. And of course it depends how you go about it. With a spritz bottle you're not going to issues anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: