Foundation - Rotted sill plates

Old 07-19-19, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Foundation - Rotted sill plates

I am fixing up a house near Susanville, CA. Because the house was vacant, snow accumulated then melted against the outside panels. This in turn cause the foundation (crawl space, poured concrete, then 2x6 sill plates bolted with two 2x4 studs on top then a vertical 2x6 that goes under subfloor and wall studs) to rot. I replaced the easier side without toooo much of an issue. But the second room they added some 2x4s as little vertical studs about 6" high between the sill plate and the 2x4's. Is that a proper way? Could I replace the mini studs with either cinder blocks or something else? I attached a picture to show what I am referring to. Halfway down the concrete foundation rises so that the "mini studs" are no longer needed.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-19, 02:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 159 Posts
The reason you probably can't replace the rotten framing with concrete blocks is that you have to have a sill plate that is anchored into your concrete foundation. Current code is no more than 6 feet between anchors... and the concrete blocks need to be slugged solid with concrete wherever your anchors are. Since it looks like you have a poured foundation, you might be able to find a contractor who would underpin it for you but the problem will still be anchoring a new plate in such a tight space.