Passing conduit through masonry wall. how to patch?

Old 07-28-19, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Passing conduit through masonry wall. how to patch?

i need to bring either 1 or 2 (more on that later) conduits through a masonry wall made of 1 course of hollow brick (like this one http://www.buildkar.com/wp-content/u...llow-Brick.jpg) with stucco on the outside and plaster on the inside .

After I make the hole what should I do to fill in around the conduit? Mortar, premixed quick set concrete? This is not a part of the house which is externally visble and the inside is a utilitarian space so I’m not that concerned about aesthetics, just durability, waterproofness not propagating damage to surrounding stucco, etc.

should I wrap the conduit in anything?

Also is any reason to angle the slightly or can it go straight through?

Final question, I need to pass 3 ethernet cables that are going to go in 2 separate directions. Would it be better to pass 2 conduits (3/4 and 1) or a single 1.25” to an exterior mounted box and then split off from there?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-19, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 164 Votes on 154 Posts
Depending on how large the hole is and the gap you need to fill you could use anything from cualk to mortar. Concrete is not appropriate because of the aggregate/rocks.

What is your conduit made of? If it's plastic I wouldn't do anything. If it's regular EMT you could use a plastic sleeve to help prevent corrosion.

I like to slope exterior wall penetrations slightly downhill so any water will naturally flow outside.

I don't know specifically what cable you are using but I don't know why you'd need 1 1/4" unless you just want the extra room and the same goes for your two conduit idea. That's a lot of conduit space for just three Ethernet cables unless you meant six. At my shop I currently have two cat 6 cables running through 1/2".

Old 07-28-19, 05:51 PM
I'm going use to use EMT.

As for how large the hole is going to be, well Ideally it'd be just slightly larger than the conduit but since I don't have a hammer drill powerful enough to use a masonry hole saw, I'm planing on drilling a starter hole and then using a chisel and hammer which is a little less precise.

I have bags of sand, lime and Portland cement left over from a recent project (all still in good condition I'd guess), what proportions should I go with for a mortar to seal it up and hold it in place?

As for why I need such a big conduit, 2 of the 3 wires are cat6a which have an OD of .305" which is about double your standard cat5e

Old 07-29-19, 04:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 164 Votes on 154 Posts
There are many recipes for mortar so it's pretty hard to screw-up. The simplest is 3 parts sand to one part Portland cement. If you want to use lime then a common mix is 6 parts sand, 2 parts lime, one part Portland cement.

Old 08-03-19, 06:55 AM
Ok so i made a bit of a mess of it but I think it will work, I went with the 6:2:1 you suggested

Right behind where the hole and junction box is a water tank that was 6” from the end of the chisel at the beginning which gave me a 4” swing with my hammer turned sideways.

I should have given up and moved the hole 8” to the side to clear the tank after seeing how useless that
was but I got in a mind set of “well I’ve gone this far” and it ended up taking me an hour to make the hole.