Need advice on bad driveway sealcoating job (my own)

Old 08-11-19, 10:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need advice on bad driveway sealcoating job (my own)

Two years ago, I had a new asphalt driveway installed. After 2 brutal summers and winters in the NE, I finally decided it was time to seal it. I decided to do it myself as I generally prefer to do things around the house on my own if I can (like many of you!).

I had all the necessary supplies: a new 36" squeegee, and 14 pails to cover my 2800 sq. ft driveway. The product I chose was Henry's 532 Ashphalt Resurfacer which had great reviews everywhere I looked. The night before the job I pressure washed the entire driveway, then the next morning (a beautiful high 70s day with no humidity), I did one sweep of the driveway and I started.

I thought I did most things right: I made sure to mix the crap out of the sealer with a drill and paddle. I put on a thin layer, and everytime I started a new row I would slightly overlap with the previous one. I kept the squeegee edge clean by wiping it down when it started to get gunked up. To my eye it looked uniform and no uneven spots.

As the sealer started drying, I could see that there were streak marks where I made a pass with the squeegee. (see photos). Instead of it being one smooth surface, you can see every pass that I made. I hate it.

It's been about 36 hours and it looks the same, so I don't think that's going to change. I need help with 2 things badly:

1. Is there any way to fix it? Can I take a hand brush, or roller, and try to fade those streak marks and feather into the rest of the driveway? Henry's says not to apply a 2nd coat because the stuff is very thick and viscous. But what if I buy a very thin sealer and basically put one final coat on top just to cover everything up? The Henry's has done its job in terms of sealing. I just want to fix up the appearance.

2. How did this happen in the first place? I can't figure it out. I thought I did everything correctly, but clearly I didn't. I would love to avoid this the next time I seal the driveway.

Thanks for any thoughts, advice, opinions! All are welcome.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-19, 11:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
This kind of stuff just doesn't last that long, I would wait and the marks will fade pretty quickly.

Old 08-12-19, 02:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 96 Votes on 89 Posts
Another coat applied evenly would correct it but as SS said, nature should fade it enough were it will blend within a few months.

Old 08-12-19, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any idea why it happened in the first place? What did I do wrong?

Henry's makes a 2, 3, 4, and 7-year formulation. I bought the 7-year, so I guess that means it's more durable than the average sealer which means it could take a while for the color variations to fade.

Old 08-12-19, 07:52 AM
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
It doesn't look that bad from the pictures!

Having many asphalt drives I found the quality of the material to be the one thing that makes a job look good.

If your seeing streaking with the over coats it's an indication that the material is too thin/not enough emulsions.

And, if this is the first time sealing, like a coat of paint it's soaking in all the pores and will get better with more coats!

BTW, it will not fade to uniform color!

Old 08-30-19, 08:06 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm about to do my driveway with the 4 year blend. The trick to getting it even is to broom over it with long sweeps to brush it out evenly. What you see on yours is the squeegee overlap marks. Sweeping over it while it's wet will even it out.