Need advice on walkway

Old 08-12-19, 06:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need advice on walkway

Need your guys help. We have had this job done by a paving/landscape company for our entrance and not sure what to do. First pic (pinterest) is what we asked for and following pics are what we got. We were told the walkway does not meet the driveway because step up to next step woud be too high, the slope etc. They said they have 40 years experience. We never told them we were going to repave the driveway. Can i get an opinion on this result from some people with experience out there? It wasnt cheap. Thanks in advance

Name:  h1.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  69.0 KB

Name:  h2.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  67.0 KB

Name:  h3.jpg
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  h4.jpg
Size:  63.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-14-19 at 11:40 AM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-19, 06:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 70 Posts
What exactly is the slope? length and height

Old 08-12-19, 07:24 AM
Received 45 Votes on 41 Posts
Unfortunately, it looks like the driveway has a hump right at the worst possible spot, so the transition from the sidewalk to the driveway was a tough call. But it also looks like, and this is hard to say from a picture so you'll have to measure it, the rise from the sidewalk to the fist step is something around an inch less than the rise from the second step to the porch, so if that's the case, and assuming slope from the steps to the driveway could be maintained, the whole sidewalk should be that much lower, which would not eliminate but would improve the transition at the driveway.

Old 08-12-19, 07:32 AM
Received 69 Votes on 62 Posts
I can understand the need to maintain step heights and slop but to pour a blob of cement and just leave it is questionable.

I've had steps go to a driveway that were not uniform, that never presented a step issue but still that blob is a mess that needs to be cleaned up!

Old 08-12-19, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 38 Posts
While one needs to understand you're never going to get what you show someone in a picture, this looks like crap and I would not be paying for it.

Old 08-12-19, 05:17 PM
Had to go home to measure. Its pretty level, looks like 3 degrees and the length is 6 feet. The top step is an inch taller than bottom step. Does that change anything? I dont get why it couldnt meet level of driveway without the cement on top which is already cracking and one stone a little loose).

Old 08-13-19, 02:03 AM
Again, you need to maintain consistent step heights so that dictates where the walkway is going to end (accounting for slope also) but you now state that one step is off by an inch, it's loose and cracking.

Id say their 40 years of experience didn't pan out.

Plus it looks like crap, I can not believe someone just left that looking the way it is completely unfinished!

Old 08-13-19, 03:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 70 Posts
Have you paid them yet?
They might have 40 yrs in the business but their work sure doesn't show expertise!

Old 08-13-19, 10:17 AM
We did pay because we were in the middle of having twins and i had no time to show pics around and get opinions and they were saying things like "the cement needs to be covered by dirt" actually heres what they wrote: "
We raised the walk higher at the driveway to make the slope lesser
We could not lower it anymore near the door as that would make the first step to high
So right now it's about the right height ".

Im in touch with them now the guy stopped by to take a look. I never had a walkway done so didnt know better. Im going to call them. What in the quotes above doesnt male sense specifically?
Thanks

Old 08-13-19, 11:37 AM
Received 45 Votes on 41 Posts
I dont get why it couldnt meet level of driveway
I don't think that a continuous connection between the walkway and the driveway is achievable because, as I mentioned previously, it looks like you have an unwanted hump in the driveway right there. So it would be or would have been a matter of picking the elevation at the driveway where you want the walkway to be. Myself, I would probably have said to match the walkway to the highest possible point of the driveway, i.e. the top of that hump, so that water flowing off of the walkway would continue to flow down to the driveway.

The top step is an inch taller than bottom step.
Okay, so it's pretty much what I said it looked like, in which case it looks like the entire walkway should be an inch lower, which would make your step risers equal and would put the end of the walkway at the driveway at about the top of the hump, right where I'm thinking I would want it. The outside edges of the walkway would still be about an inch higher than the driveway, but that's something you would have to deal with having a stone walkway that can't be shaped to match the driveway.

In summary, at least in my opinion, I would say, in addition to not exhibiting the best workmanship, the entire walkway is about 1" higher than it should be.

Old 08-14-19, 05:41 AM
Received 41 Votes on 41 Posts
I can't talk from any expertise , but I would've expected the edges to be squared off. And for a better look the edges could've been faced with the same stone as the walking surface. This looks bad!

Old 08-14-19, 05:49 AM
Not sure what you mean by hump, the driveway is pretty level next to walkway maybe its an optical illusion in the photo. I think the walkway was buit with a small slope and making it more sloped to meet the level of driveway better (not cake cement on top of driveway) would give rain chance to flow off walkway no? In addition, the cement on sides of walkway cannot be covered with dirt like they said as the dirt would have to slope a lot upwards and cover all the rocks and wood and still it would be a thin laywr of dirt unless you redid the whole landscape.

Old 08-14-19, 05:14 PM
Ok i see what you meant by bump, the asphalt is slightly uneven, half the driveway touching the walkway is a little higher (less than an inch difference). So if the walkway met the higher part of driveway it would still look like it meets thw driveway and isnt cemented on top of it.

Attached Images  
Old 08-20-19, 05:46 AM
So im assuming by squared off edges you mean that on the sides this would be done rather than pouring the concrete on top of our decorative rocks? : " A concrete driveway has nice straight formed edges. When a concrete driveway is being installed forms are used to contain the concrete so once the concrete is dry, it creates that straight edge."
That was taken from a site about driveways but im assuming it applies to all concrete work. I dont see how any material like dirt or pebbles can be used to cover the concrete sides when the concrete is even with the pavers on top, not to mention the dirt would have to incline towards the walkway making it look unnatural.

Old 08-20-19, 08:29 AM
that is exactly what we have been referring!

I have never, ever, seen any type of walk/patio/whatever where someone just poured a big puddle of concrete like this, it's completely unprofessional!