Garage slab repair

Old 09-08-19, 11:44 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Garage slab repair

I finally got my garage rubble cleared yesterday. The foundation walls are damaged in a couple of spots and there are several 1' square areas where the slab was eroded by fire. Think divots up to an inch or more deep.

Talking to a contractor who wants the rebuild job and he would just pour a new slab on top of the old. My gut says tear it up and re pour the slab because I don't know what's underneath after all that heat. His way is faster and cheaper so I'm leaning that way.
Anyone know of a good reason not to pour on top of the existing slab or can the damaged slab just be repaired?

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

09-08-19, 12:21 PM
XSleeper
Group Moderator
Received 162 Votes on 152 Posts
I dont think you would "pour a new slab on top of the old" when the original surface could be repaired and simply resurfaced. That's what topping mix is for. But there can be bonding issues, depending on how it's done. Easiest thing to do is to mist the old concrete with water (so the surface isnt dusty and so that it doesn't suck out the moisture from the new concrete too fast) then brush on a slurry of the new mix, (to ensure a good bond) then finish with the topping mix... waiting to steel trowel it until the water has flashed off the surface.

Old 09-08-19, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Votes on 152 Posts
I dont think you would "pour a new slab on top of the old" when the original surface could be repaired and simply resurfaced. That's what topping mix is for. But there can be bonding issues, depending on how it's done. Easiest thing to do is to mist the old concrete with water (so the surface isnt dusty and so that it doesn't suck out the moisture from the new concrete too fast) then brush on a slurry of the new mix, (to ensure a good bond) then finish with the topping mix... waiting to steel trowel it until the water has flashed off the surface.

cwbuff, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 09-08-19, 05:12 PM
Received 52 Votes on 50 Posts
My neighbor just had his garage floor resurfaced. No fire like yours, but severely pitted. The contractor says up until about two years ago he would not recommend resurface. The stuff flaked off. But new materiel's seem to be better. He still can see the deep pits but the whole floor is smoothed and sealed.

Last year I had mine garage floor epoxied. The contractor used a diamond sander to resurface it then prepped, then applied epoxy, then the decorative flakes and finally a clear coat. 5 days to do it.