grinding granite

Old 09-14-19, 02:15 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
grinding granite

This might not be the right forum but...

I need to cut 1/16th inch off a granite counter top. The new slide-in range is 1/8th wider than the old one so won't fit in the cut-out in the countertop. I need to shave off the 16th and am grateful for any advice.

Old 09-14-19, 03:45 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
If you don't have experience with cutting stone I strongly suggest you call a professional.
You will need a diamond saw and a flow of water as you cut. Cutting a 1/16 will more likely be ground off rather than cut. Again a diamond Grinder will be necessary. Maintaining a straight edge will require some type of fence or guide.

How big is the counter top piece? Is it small enough to remove and bring to a granite counter top shop?

Old 09-15-19, 05:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You can cut/grind dry. It's an option if you don't have a helper to spritz the water and you don't have a watery muddy mess to clean up. It's much harder on your diamond blade and there will be a massive amount of dust. Wearing a good quality dust mask is recommended and you can have someone hold a shop vac hose near the cut to catch as much as possible before it escapes and coats everything in the room.

Better is to have someone with a spray bottle of water spray your cut area as you work. They will work the balance between keeping the dust down and blade cool against too much water and making a muddy, wet mess on the floor. In the end I find it's better to have too much water. At least the mess is contained in one small area where dust will get almost everywhere in the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: