From asphalt to paver driveway: reuse the old stone base?

Old 09-16-19, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
From asphalt to paver driveway: reuse the old stone base?

For the first several feet of my driveway next to my garage, I have removed the existing asphalt and plan to install concrete pavers rated for vehicular traffic. I don't park in the garage and would rarely have a car rolling over that segment of my driveway, but I want the job to be appropriate if I decide to use the garage again (unlikely, not impossible).

The asphalt (which was in good shape) was thick -- about 5-6 inches. I now have the old stone base, which appears to be several inches deep and is extremely hard/very well compacted. I understand I need to have a 4 to 6 inches base of stone base, then 1 inch of leveling sand, the the pavers.

Given that the existing stone based is so hard, I was thinking of keeping it there and just adding a couple of inches of new base over old base, compact it well, then 1 inch of sand, then the pavers. Is this routinely done?

This website says: "If the old driveway is removed and your gravel base is relatively intact, then you may only need to add a couple inches of road base gravel to solidify your base and bring it up to the recommended 4 inches."
https://burnabyblacktop.ca/blog/gett...aved-driveway/

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-19, 04:21 AM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
You are te only one who is going to be able to answer this question.

Weather you park in the garage or not is irrelevant it still has to meet the min requirements which for a drive way are 8-12" of compacted stone.

Driveways are typ not compacted like you would do for a paver application so Personally for such a small area I'd be digging it out and making sure it was done correctly!

Old 09-16-19, 05:00 AM
Thanks for your reply. My situation is similar to the following This Old House video (the only difference is that I am installing the pavers at top of the driveway, not at the bottom):
https://youtu.be/MPCv5jl3DvM

In minute 1:23, the narrator says "the bed underneath should be in good shape, but you may need to add some leveling sand."

If this passes muster for TOH, should I be ok? My asphalt was thicker than his.

Last edited by maestroperu; 09-16-19 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-16-19, 05:55 AM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
I am installing the pavers at top of the driveway, not at the bottom)
I always thought they went on top!!

But, the recommendation is 8-12, your indicating you have 4-6 which would be fine for a walk way!

It's all about proper foundation but it's your drive, we can only provide recommendations.

Old 09-16-19, 06:35 AM
Thanks, Maq1. The 4 inches of old base was my guess. If I were to make exploratory digging into the old base and found that there are around 6 or more inches of existing stone, would it be OK if I first re-compacted the existing base (which is already very hard) and added two more inches of new base and compact that, for a total of 8 inches? it seems like digging out well compacted base to then adding new base to be compacted is not very efficient.

Old 09-16-19, 11:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Nobody on the Internet can tell you if what you have is OK or not. We can't see it and we can't test it. All we can do is advise on what manufacturers recommend for installation.

You can excavate and install a properly compacted base now and know that it is done properly. Or, you can put down the pavers on top of what you have and find out after a few seasons if it's good enough. I do know that the base/foundation is the most important step in the project and it's the one everyone wants to skimp on because it's out of sight and a lot of work.

Marq1 voted this post useful.